Skip to main content

What Would You Say to Your Younger Self?

 

Here we are, a typical Friday night for my husband and I, our "Friday date night".  We are all warm and cozy on the couch.  Tonight it was my turn to pick something we have not already watched.  That is scary, the bad movie picker always becomes the brunt of a bad joke.  Lately, I have become the chosen one.  As a result, I have learned not to listen to my oldest son's recommendations.  He gets lots of pleasure leading me down REALLY bad movie paths, just to hear our crazy reactions.    

This particular evening, I was in the mood for action mixed with science fiction.  Will Smith always seems to do a great job with that combination, so I picked Gemini Man.  The scene that got me thinking was the part where Henry (Will Smith) is talking to a younger version of himself, "Junior" (also Will Smith).  Henry is a retiring assassin that doesn't have a family or anyone close to him.  He explains to Junior not to make the same mistakes as him.  That he deserves a family, something he always wanted and didn't get.  

That started the morning brain thinking. What would you tell your younger self if you only had 5 minutes?  What timeframe would you go back to?  It would have to be a time when you would listen to yourself. That is when I quickly decided that teenage years are out, LOL!  

In my life, I feel pretty comfortable saying that I have learned a lot from each experience, good and bad.  That those experiences and how I grew from each of them is what made me who I am today.  They were not always easy to bare.  So, in thinking about these two questions, here is what I would say and the timeframe I would pick.

I would go back to a time when I felt completely lost.  One of my dark, in my 20s, moments.  There were a few, but remember you can only pick one.  The dark moment I want to return to is after a long term relationship failed with a guy that didn't deserve a 1/2 minute of my time.  

It just dawned on me this is also like Back to the Future as well.  Now, how to not scare the crap out of myself when arriving.  The older self looks way different, than the younger self.  In knowing me, the younger self might also offer some advice to the older self based on that!  Something like, "Maybe you should stop eating the potato chips?".  


During that, dark in my 20s moment, I was working fulltime, going to school fulltime and lived on my own.  I was sad, from the failed relationship.  This is when the older self arrives in a dream.  Otherwise the younger self is going to think she is having a psychotic episode.  While the younger self is sleeping, I would appear and whisper in her ear the following: "Trust in you, things will turn out ok but you have to get through it with all that you are going to learn.  It is hard work but worth every minute.  You will do a good job surrounding yourself with people who care about you this point forward." 

Yep, encouragement is what I picked.  I won't lie, lottery numbers did cross my mind.  My fear is it would have stopped some of the hard work that was coming my way.  To me the hard work and what I learned is priceless. Loving yourself is even more priceless.  Now, I am going to tell my current self the same thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either.  Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.   Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen. The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.   At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.   You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience. First yo

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite shots, my inside out forehand.  Everything changed within seconds