Skip to main content

Carving Pumpkins in January-A Short Story about Procrastination


 "Happy are they that can hear their detractions and put them to mending." 

 -William Shakespeare       

Who else but me would have a large carving pumpkin and three pie pumpkins at the end of the counter in January?  There are several excuses as to "why" those pumpkins are there; from photography backdrop to a healthy additive to my morning protein shake.  YUM! 

My husband asked just the other day, "Can we PLEASE get these pumpkins off the counter and outside to feed the squirrels?".  That was a very clever tactic, I must admit. He knows how much I love animals.  However, the need to finish a video project was greater than the stomachs of the squirrels.  At least that was the reason flavor of the day.  It changes based on my mood. 

"When will you finish the pumpkin project and do all the things you said you were going to do?" I began to ponder,  "How many things are there that were just left undone?"  These questions started to surface while thinking about the new year and how I would like things to change.  That is when I got to work thinking about deadlines and the promises made. "What happens when projects don't complete by the deadline?  Is it even a realistic deadline you were giving it?"  All good thoughts one early morning.  For the pumpkins, they have to go.  If the deadline is not met then I will feed the squirrels!  

People have asked me, "How do you do everything you are doing?"  In my head I am laughing because I  know about the pumpkins and they do not.  But, I am honest and let them know, "You have no idea how much is not done!"  There are so many pumpkins at the end of the counter examples.  

My interests are immense and unrealistic for the time we are given on earth. I have always been someone that searches to know and learn new things.  I am in awe with how many topics give me joy and don't want to miss out on the unknown.  To help with time and interest, I have combine this thirst for knowledge into topics that help with what I do at home and work.  The same thing I did with Art Totality and family time.  I rationalize the unrealistic waking hours by saying things like, "I need my alone time.  This is when I do my best thinking.  This time is not sacrificing any family time and it is only short term till I get this and that done.”  

There is a trade off between how super messy and unorganized my house is and tennis, sleep and art projects.   We only have a certain amount of time and how we allocate it is important.  The hardest thing for me is to realize that I can not fit 48 hours into 24.  But by golly, I will sure the hell try, and it seems that the willingness to die trying is there too.

Sometimes hitting rock bottom has to happen before reality can set in.  During my 9 day symptom stent of having COVID, my body and mind would not function properly.  And for the first time that I can remember, my desire to do so did too.  All I could do was think about how much I needed sleep.  The more I tried to work, the more my body fought back.  This was all new to me.  As a result, "Let it go!" became my new mantra.  

The desire has returned, but now I have a different perspective. The plan is to review all the things that were put on the shelf for later, evaluate the need, then figure out the best way to accomplish those with high priority.  My body naturally wakes up at 4 am.  I really don't see that changing since it is natural.  However, if I want to go back to sleep, I am learning to give myself the "ok".  

As for the pumpkins at the end of the counter, two of the three pie pumpkins are now puree for my favorite vanilla protein shake.  The seeds were roasted for my oldest son and I.  Next weekend I will make the carving video and will paint the one pie pumpkin.  If this doesn't happen, we will have some pretty happy squirrels in my neighborhood. I am ok with that too!

Comments

  1. I ran out of time so the squirrels were pretty happy in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either.  Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.   Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen. The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.   At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.   You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience. First yo

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite shots, my inside out forehand.  Everything changed within seconds