Skip to main content

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either. 

Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.  Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen.

The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.  At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.  You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience.

First you must believe in you.  That way you can transition from the pity party to the “let’s get it done” mindset.  It is ok to have a period where you are downright pissed.  Don’t stay there for years.  Dust yourself off when you get up and take life by the horns, and RIDE it like no other.  Life will not wait for you.  It will pass quickly.    

Learn from all experiences, accept things for what they are, understand what part of the experience you potentially own, then create new experiences that will not allow the same incident to happen again.  Bitterness and hate are not healthy and could lead to other undesirable outcomes.  It literally stunts your growth.  This is something I must consciously work on daily.  Gratitude journaling helps me with this.  Pick 5 things you are thankful for daily.  Wow, this makes you realize all the good out there.

Living in the present moment and defining what's important are additional ingredients in loving yourself and building a resilient lifestyle.  For example, I have defined trust and comfort as two important parts of my life with people I'm connected to.  Yours might be different, but for me, if do not trust someone or feel comfortable being me, then it is likely my only interactions are professional, sports related, or none.  This is a two-way street; the other person needs to be genuine as well.  I really want to enjoy all my present moments, and I will no longer accept fake ones.  When I am with someone, they have all of me, no distractions. 

Building strong connections are important for happiness, health, growth, and of course loving yourself.  Sharing without any expectations of reciprocity is how I connect.  Now, I am not saying to be “ok” with a one-way street here, like the damn Giving Tree.  What I am saying is don’t share with the intent of expecting something in return.  That should not be the reason for your sharing.  I feel good inside, my heart feels whole when I see eyes light up from something I've shared.  It's a great feeling knowing I am making someone else’s day better. 

To sum it up, if you want a resilient lifestyle you will need to put in the work that is needed to make it happen.  You can create the life you were intended to have by believing in yourself, learning from all experiences, enjoying the present and what is important, and having strong connections (BLPS), ultimately loving you!

 

I will leave you with this small experience that helped my growth.

     During my divorce, on my 22nd anniversary date, I took a trip to Starved Rock.  This was the beginning of my healing journey.  I was killing time in the lounge before my bald eagle tour.  My camera gear was spread out everywhere, I was getting ready to take photos of the finely decorated fireplace.  It was just after Christmas and the lodge was all decked out. 

     Out of nowhere, a young boy around 9 or 10 plopped down beside me with his camera.  He had an eager look in his eyes, “Miss, did you get any good shots?” Quickly I responded with a tilted side smile, “I am just getting started.  I'm getting ready to practice on the fireplace then hopefully I'll get a great bald eagle shot on the tour.”  Then I asked, “Do you have any?”  His mother appeared shortly after the boy.  She had the look of admiration and concern, “He loves photography, I'm sorry if he's bothering you.”  I laughed and said, “Of course he's not bothering me.  I love to see great photography.” 

     The boy and I looked through his photos as he explained each one.  “You have a great eye!” I noticed.  He had a story for each photo. I let him know which ones I really liked and why.  I reassured his mother that her son was an inspiration.  Then she let me know he loves all kinds of art.  Before we parted ways, I said to his mother, “Someone with all that talent and desire to share will do great things with their art.  Thank you for sharing.”

     I knew I was living in the moment and where I was supposed to be.  This experience hit me hard, "Stacey, this is why you were doing Art Totality!  Get it together.”  I was supposed to be at Starved Rock during that time.  Before leaving, I booked my room for the following year.    

 

Make today matter!

Stacey




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite shots, my inside out forehand.  Everything changed within seconds