Skip to main content

You know you are naïve when you believe Keanu Reeves is following you on Instagram.

          Oh my gosh, my heart is racing when I see that the one and only Keanu Reeves likes 4 of my Instagram photos, back-to-back.  Thinking to myself, "Keanu, you are so adorable.  Your brown dreamy eyes, long dark hair, and the rugged look you have is so mysterious."  Every moment from the first like, I am consumed with thoughts about how great our life would be if he got to know me.  "Private jet rides, exquisite dinners, luxurious gifts.  Our life together would be so passionate, full of possibilities."  

     Within one day of liking my photos comes the request to follow me.  I am so elated at all the possibilities that I jump up and down.  "Heck yeah, he will love me, right?", I think to myself as I dreamily listen to my audio book.  Then he asks, "How is your weekend going and sends me a virtual rose."  My response is this, NOTHING.  Really people, did you think I believed Keanu has time to like 4 of my photos and then ask how I am doing?  My curiosity of this new online world intensified, that is all.

     This article is about online predators, how to navigate the waters, and not to give up. I feel that I am pretty good at knowing what is happening in the physical world.  It is the online world that is mostly new as it relates to being single.  For the record, I did not ask for this online world to open.  It happened when I changed my relationship status from Married to nothing on Facebook.  A lot of this will not make sense unless I teleport you back in time to a conversation at a bar that took place about a month ago.

     After an art event a friend and I went to the bar section of a swanky restaurant.  She and I sat at the bar for a “night cap” before we called it for the evening.  Very quickly it becomes evident that "S" (my friend) knows the bartender well.  He knows exactly what she likes to drink.  There is nothing ordinary about "S", therefore I knew there was a bartender bond when the olives she liked were dipped into the martini with her not having to ask for them.  Damn this bartender is good.  Plus, a sexy smile on top of that. 

     After a few minutes of small talk between "S", the bartender and myself, we approached the topic of being single and navigating a whole new world that did not exist when I was single last, online.  "Oh my, you are like chum in shark infested waters." the bartender explains.  There was a laid-back interest in what he had to say.  That was a nice feeling, no agenda!  "S" enters the conversation reminding the bartender he is married, and he explains, "I am not married."  "S" then says, "You might as well be, you have two kids with your girlfriend, you should be married."  That is when I interject, "Oh my, don't get married.  Stupid idea, totally".  "S", then points out what was already discussed, "She is recently divorced, you can't listen to her".  The bartender gives "S" a devilish smile, looks her in the eyes and says all the things I feel and have felt about marriage in one sentence, "Why do I need a piece of paper to tell me something when we both know."  At the same time, he was speaking I was taking a fairly large gulp of my Goose drink and almost spit it out when I heard his words.  That is when I interject, "That is exactly right, you do not need a stupid piece of paper." My excitement is a bit over animated due to Grey Goose.

     We continue to discuss the online topic, what it is like being a newly single woman and navigating those waters.  "Has this happened yet?", the bartender proceeds.  "Oh, it is coming...". Now, this article is not X rated so I will not reveal all that was disclosed.  What I do have to say is this, the stuff he told me would happen, did happen!  It was like he had ESP.  The positive thing is I am very secure in who I am.  If things compromise my morals, I simply do not do them.  It is really that simple.  However, it was nice to get the heads up on what was coming, because I had no clue.  This BRAVE new world keeps getting more interesting as time goes on.  

     To sum up where the idea came from for this blog is, Keanu and the bar conversation.  My hope is to relate what I feel is happening by using a few apex predators, sharks as analogies, to steer clear of.  These sharks are the ones navigating the chum waters that were discussed in the bar.  They take advantage of people's emotions.  I am almost certain some of these sharks have ties to when a relationship status changes.

     Let me start with the most dangerous, the Bull Shark (BS).  These predators can swim between the physical world and the online world, effortlessly.  In a lot of cases the BS has more than one account online.  Their main objective is to build trust to the point you will share things that will compromise your financial status.  The important thing to remember with all the sharks is this; "If it is too good to be true, then it is probably not."  Right Keanu?  Trust your instincts.  Watch the "Tinder Swindler" (you know the beautiful BS Shark Simon Leviev), you can learn a lot from those women.  Make sure not to go too crazy with judgement.  I almost blocked someone that ended up being very important to me.

     Moving on, the Great White.  This shark is one broken soul.  The Great White (GW) wants to cause emotional destruction to all those that are close by.  The GW has so much hate inside that they want others to feel the same way, these are the women or men haters.  They want nothing more than to play games, then to leave you broken in a pool of bloody water.  This makes them feel better.  In some sick twisted way, they are paying back the shark that did it to them.  Kind of messed up, isn't it?  The best protection from GW is to verify the intent of the relationship to yourself.  This comes with time.  Take is slow and really listen to what is being said.  If they hate, it will come out and you will know.  Trust yourself.  

     The hardest thing for someone that is newly single is to identify the other fish that are simply swimming in the water with you.  It is hard to trust knowing apex predators are out there.  The innocent fish are the ones that have no ill intent with a relationship.  They are tired of being lonely and may just want someone to talk to like you.  When you find a fish with no agenda, it can be liberating, exhilarating, fun, and the list can go on.  If all is innocent, strong relationships can form to the point where you know this is someone special.  Especially if you have never met anyone like you.  Keep in mind, you can still get heartbroken when you lose a fish, especially one that is like you.  Being honest about the intent of the relationship can help.  You cannot control anyone else.  They may still say, “Goodbye”.  If you give yourself time to heal from your past relationship and you are secure in yourself, you will respect the “Goodbye” and hope that the fish comes back.  You never know, they might think you are one of the apex predators.   

     The moral of this story is this, after a relationship ends it is important to give yourself time to learn from the experience you just left.  Enjoy the things you have always wanted to do and don’t rely on someone else to bring you happiness.  You must dig deep into the sorrow and feel the pain.  It is “ok” to cry.  Know that you are a good person that had a rough experience.  Life can be unpredictable, and that is “ok” because you are strong.  Learning, growing, and loving yourself makes you strong.  You are a beautiful creature and life can be full of so much.  It is all up to you on what that becomes.  Once you accept life and people in the entirety of how it is and they are, love comes to you.  I am very fortunate to have friends I 100% trust.  They accept me for all my beauty and ugliness.  If you have such friends, they might see and recommend things that will help your growth.  My friends, every day I am growing.  I am not the same person I was yesterday.

     When you are ready to date, slowly dip yourself into the waters.  If something seems “fishy”, investigate.  Use logic and intuition.  Know and stick to your value system and do not share anything that makes you feel uncomfortable or goes against it.  There are good people out there who are going through the same things.  You never know, your once and a lifetime partner might be one of those fish that learned about the sharks before you.

   

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either.  Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.   Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen. The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.   At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.   You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience. First yo

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite shots, my inside out forehand.  Everything changed within seconds