Skip to main content

What the Hell-Part II

     COVID-19, what can I say?  The beginning of last year was "What the Hell-Part I".  I had broken my wrist and talked about the recovery.  The beginning of this year began with me grieving the loss of my little sister then moved into the COVID-19.

     Before I begin, I would like to thank all of those in the medical field; first responders, nurses, scientists and doctors.  I appreciate all of you for your hard work and dedication during this pandemic! Knowing just a fraction of what all of you are going through, makes me feel a bit ashamed to even talk about my situation. It is not even comparable.
     
     This year's "what the hell (WTH)" began with an evacuation.  My work team and I gathered all of our stuff and made plans to work from home.  When we left, the plan was to return to work the following week.  This was the first week in March.  Needless to say, we are still not back in the office.

     While working from home, I went from one big project to the next.  Normally I take vacation time after a big project to recuperate.  There was no time for that.   Currently my team is not with me, they are all experiencing the furlough part of WTH. Without them, I feel like I am barley above water in the middle of the ocean.  With a few sharks circling around me.  
    Right now all of us are experiencing some form of WTH.  In my opinion the highest degree of WTH are those that have lost friends or relatives to COVID-19.  My heart aches for them.

     I want to talk about a few things that have shifted my way of thinking from WTH to a "HELLO" wake-up call!  Globally we are all experiencing the affects of COVID-19.  All of us are truly in this together.  I believe we are learning new things like slowing down and not taking things for granted.    

Home Schooling:
     As for home schooling, I ended up doing well for about a week.  Then my husband had to take over.  There were not enough hours in a day.  The biggest positive I have to share is:  "WE DID IT!"  Both boys completed all their work and will be moving to the next school journey.  Next year my youngest son will be a freshman in high school.  My oldest son will be attending ISU this coming fall.  I am thankful they both put in the effort to make it through.
Top 5 Home Schooling Positives:
  1. More time with my boys.
  2. Greater team work between teachers and parents.
  3. Homemade lunches.  Only one boy agrees this was a positive, lol.
  4. More sleep.
  5. Technology and Internet upgrades.
     For me, home schooling was more like a survivor episode.  I honestly would have been voted off the island.  My husband Ryan would have stayed because he was the true leader here.

New Dress Attire:
     I happen to be one of those that agrees with wearing the face mask.  The less nose and mouth drippings in our environment, the better.  The virus can live for up to 72 hours on some objects.  You also have people that can have COVID-19 and not even know it.  Please, wear the mask.  

Top 5 Positives to Wearing a Face Mask:
  1. Halitosis is kept with the one wearing the mask.  Maybe those with bad breath will realize what they have been doing to the rest of us, fingers crossed. I quickly realized I had coffee breath after putting my mask on in the morning.
  2. Super huge savings on foundation and lipstick.  I LOVE LIPSTICK, so this savings will make my husband happy.
  3. Wearing a mask is now the perfect excuse for my hearing loss!
  4. Everyone's eyes are really standing out, just beautiful.
  5. And, all jokes aside, when people are wearing masks I do feel more comfort. 
     Created face masks are quickly becoming an expression of self; favorite colors, designs, sports teams etc. As time goes by, it will be interesting to see what happens with face masks.

     This quick blog could easily turn into a novel with all the positives.  The main thing I am trying to convey is to focus on them and try not to dwell in WTH too long.  There is a lot to learn, mine was the HELLO wake up call.  To truly live in the moment and enjoy the time my kids were trapped at home with me.  We are all in this together and I really appreciate all the care and support communities are doing.  Please, stay safe and keep your chin up!

Stay safe!

Stacey Thacker


   

Comments

  1. I too am trying to find the positives. More families spending time together. Siblings playing together at home. Businesses finding new and creative ways to conduct business. An appreciation for those who worked through the crisis, not just healthcare workers, but those who staffed grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I also saw an outpouring for the senior citizens in the community. People sharing hard to find items. People making masks. Cooking meals, sharing recipes, getting creative with what food is in the house. The parades for birthdays, graduations, etc. Count your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on finding the positives! I have high hopes that we will get through this stronger!
      Take care,
      Stacey

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either.  Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.   Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen. The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.   At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.   You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience. First yo

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite shots, my inside out forehand.  Everything changed within seconds