Skip to main content

The F........Word

Fornite.
     What did you think the F word was going to be?  Sorry, but honestly, that is a word that may create the same cringed face most of us have when we hear the F word that has a very foul meaning.  This is a real quick story about what I am dealing with at home with two boys that are complete ADDICTS to this game.
     When I say addicted I truly mean it.  If given the opportunity, both my boys would never leave the game.  Their weekends revolve around it.  If you were to ask them what paradise is they might say..."Never leaving Fortnite, ordering carry-in that delivers up to the room just to avoid not stopping their game, and a controller that allows me to play during bathroom breaks."  I have a strange feeling someone has worn adult diapers playing, just a guess.  I have coffee therapy sessions with a friend that also is living with a Fortnite addict.

     A few months ago, I was at the end of my tolerance with Fortnite.  Both boys were arguing about turns.  "Mom, if you would just let us play during the week it wouldn't be this bad, we are making up for lost time over the weekend".  Both boys chimed in to tell me this, like somehow it is my fault they argue over who gets to play.  They have other tactics too.  They both form an alliance and team up on both my husband and I.  Divide and conquer is what I believe to be their favorite.

     Then one day I was listening to an interview with John Medina, author of Brain Rules.  He said, "My mother surrounded me with the things I loved.  As my interest changed so did the things I loved around me." or something like that.  This got the wheels turning.  I am going about this all wrong.  I need to get into this Fortnite and join them.

     That day we had our annual family day.  Both boys got to pick where they wanted to go that the whole family could join in.  Not surprising to me at all, both boys picked eBash.  Remember the alliance?  If you don’t know what eBash is, then just imagine multiple gaming systems playing Fortnite. “Ok, we will go.  But...you have to teach me how to play.  Who is up for the challenge?"

     My oldest son took me under his wing.  Setup the game, then had me practice what he explained.  That is when I quickly realized I was in a "Hunger Games" type game.  It even had a storm, a map, etc...  Being the problem solver I am, hiding out till everyone was dead was my strategy. Not bad to die number 11 for my first Fortnite game. My oldest did explain that he and his friends were protecting me. I thought that was nice.

     I enjoyed using my axe to destroy buildings, wood boxes, cars, anything that wasn't people.  At one point, I had an audience of 9 year olds watching me game.  "Wow, my uncanny Fortnite strategies can amuse 9 year olds and help them overcome their addition." is what I thought to myself.  My youngest one became protective so I had to tell him, "Don't worry, it isn't hurting my feelings, they are paying to watch me.  I honestly find it amazing that what I am doing is more interesting to them than gaming themselves."  Then he shrugged and agreed.

     The gaming family day didn’t resolve the issues but it did help me understand and connect a little better with them. Both boys really didn’t want to help train me how to get better. I can’t blame them. They would have one more person to share with. I have sat and watched them  play and have a sense of how skilled they are.

     I still am trying to find the best way to help the addiction not get worse. The hubby and I had a breakfast intervention with the oldest. The gaming system was taken out of the bedroom and placed downstairs in our living room. Then it was placed back in our oldest’s bedroom and will remain as long as the two hour rotations continue without arguments. Present day,  I get to hear some pretty sweet bribes. Just yesterday my oldest offered the youngest his French fries if he could game right at that moment.

    During our spring break my oldest stayed home to game with his buddies. I was actually thankful, at least he wasn’t at the underage drinking party that included a horrific accident. Things could have been worse than the F word.



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don’t give afunkanidias…how to build a resilient lifestyle…

When you have "I don't give afunkanidias", you are living the life Peter had in Office Space, minus the money laundering and smashing of the printer.  This type of life has the freedom to be who you are without fear.  You truly do not care what acquaintances or random people think, nor do you care about the consequences of their judgments upon you.  We are not talking about narcissists either.  Those that have this condition may come across as arrogant or cocky but the reality of it all is this:  they are comfortable in their own skin.   Loving yourself is a key ingredient for this to happen. The best way to create a resilient lifestyle is to love who you are.   At one point or another, you will have something to bounce back from.   You just never know what you are going to get and when you will have that “thing or things” happen. Divorce, death, sickness, rejection…these are all part of normal life that will require recovery.  Quick recovery is resilience. First yo

The Squeaky Walmart Cart

    Let me start this Blog by saying:  There are some truths (very little) and falseness (lots) to this story! LOL!      At one time or another, we have won the lucky fucked up cart lottery.  The wheel that just isn't functioning the way it was intended.  More than likely, it is a cart someone else set aside for that very reason.  What do you do when you get that lucky cart?      The attention seeker will probably keep the damn cart.  Parading up and down the aisle all dressed up and ready to accept numbers for a date.  For those of us that do not like the squeaky cart, timing of when you find out you have the lucky one matters. Halfway to the milk aisle the cart starts squeaking and you only needed a few items.  Damn it!      Those that are fixers will look for a remote location in the store, as to not draw attention while assessing the issue.  In my mind, I have invested too much time getting to the milk to turn around now and get another cart.  I even grab for my *Gerber tha

You know you are naïve when you believe Keanu Reeves is following you on Instagram.

           Oh my gosh, my heart is racing when I see that the one and only Keanu Reeves likes 4 of my Instagram photos, back-to-back.  Thinking to myself, "Keanu, you are so adorable.  Your brown dreamy eyes, long dark hair, and the rugged look you have is so mysterious."  Every moment from the first like, I am consumed with thoughts about how great our life would be if he got to know me.  "Private jet rides, exquisite dinners, luxurious gifts.  Our life together would be so passionate, full of possibilities."        Within one day of liking my photos comes the request to follow me.  I am so elated at all the possibilities that I jump up and down.  "Heck yeah, he will love me, right?", I think to myself as I dreamily listen to my audio book.  Then he asks, "How is your weekend going and sends me a virtual rose."  My response is this, NOTHING.  Really people, did you think I believed Keanu has time to like 4 of my photos and then ask how I am do