Skip to main content

Time Bank

 

Today's morning coffee reflections...how ironic it is that we are responsible for robbing our own time bank and many times we don’t even realize it. Incessant thinking about insecurities (I am 100% guilty) is one.

Life is a teacher, but only if we are open to the lessons. With that, I am sharing an article I sent my mother over 28 years ago. Love life lessons!  Thank you mom for keeping what I sent you and for putting it in a place I would find it after you passed.

My hope is you find The Bank to be helpful in quantifying how valuable time really is.....

The "Time" Bank

Imagine there is a bank which credits your account each morning with $86,400, carries over no balance from day to day, allows you to keep no cash balance, and every evening cancels whatever part of the amount you have failed to use during the day. What would you do? Draw out every cent, of course! Well everyone has such a bank, its name is TIME.

Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds.  Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest in good purpose. It carries over no balance. It allows no overdraft. 

Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the records of the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is yours. There is no going back. There is no drawing against the "tomorrow". 

You must live in the present on today's deposits. Invest it to get the utmost in health, happiness and success! The clock is running. Make the most of today...

To realize the value of ONE YEAR...Ask a student who failed an exam.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH...Ask the parents of a premature baby.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK...Ask the editor of a website.

To realize the value of ONE DAY...Ask a hourly wage worker who has ten kids to feed.

To realize the value of ONE HOUR...Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE...Ask a person who has missed the bus (or yoga class, just kidding).

To realize the value of ONE SECOND...Ask a person that survived an accident.

To realize the value of ONE MILLI-SECOND...Ask the person who won a silver medal in the olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special (animals, nature, yourself included)...special enough to have your time...and remember time waits for no one.

-Author Unknown

(Some minor edits to be more up to date!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words: What are they good for anyway?

“Single” doesn’t mean a heart is available and free. Married doesn’t mean a heart is not available and trapped.” -Stacey Cook   (Added one of my scarlet macaw Costa Rica pictures for fun.  He had no mate in sight, "Single" and hanging out with me.  The safety guy says, "They are not that friendly.  Plus, I don't see his mate.".  Therefore, the conclusion, he must have been bitten by a snake and was dying.  Maybe the last hours of his life, all because he was "Single".) Why in the h-e-double hockey sticks would I say, “Words, what are they good for anyway”? I will explain. Words are just that, words. What gives them meaning are the attachments such as beliefs, culture, emotions, experiences, commitment, behavior, and character to name a few. For example, “Single” might mean “I am not married,” simple as that.  For others, it might mean, “I am available to have fun”.  I will let you guess what kind of fun I mean. Words are used to he...

What the Hell!

      What the Hell (WTH) is a common phrase used in “frustration”. We all have WTH  moments. This short blog is about a transition from WTH to WTF to Now What to You Got This .      It was a typical Sunday morning at the tail end of January. I got up around 4 am, finished a few updates to a training course, then my oldest son and I headed out the door for our tennis lesson. We left a bit early because of ice on the road.  On the way,  I felt the compelling urge to explain how to drive on ice.  This interrupted his earbud music playing on the passenger side, that is never good. Our conversation turned into a debate, “Mom, I know physics.”.      We arrived at the court and started our warm up. I was on the add side and Jake was on the deuce side. We were sharing the indoor court for our lessons. I remembered feeling pretty good about my timing and how easily the ball was going over. Then I went for one of my favorite s...

My Macaronian...

     As I listened to a TedTalk podcast on my way to work, I get frustrated, “Children need a healthy diet.  Starting their day with a healthy breakfast increases their concentration and allows them to learn.........."  As I listen, I think..."You must not know what it is like to live with a Macaronian!"      Diet stories when others were younger go a lot like the stories I used to hear from my grandparents about walking to school.  "We used to walk up a hill both ways with snow up to our knee caps."  Remember those stories?  Now with diet, it goes like this; "We didn't have a choice, what was on the table is what we ate."  or  "Healthy eating habits start by them seeing what their parents are doing."  Here is the doctor's advice when my Macaronian was younger; "He will eat when he is hungry.  Make sure he is taking his multivitamin."  My Macaronian was super skinny when he was between the ages of 5-10. ...